Officials destroy Manus water supplies to ramp up pressure on remaining men

Wednesday, 15 November 2017, 07:43:04 AM. Immigration officials return to the Manus Island detention centre to destroy water supplies and makeshift shelters, increasing pressure on the men inside to leave as another deadline passes.

Water tanks in Manus Island Detention Centre drain after being damaged Video: Water tanks in Manus Island Detention Centre drain after being damaged (ABC News)

Immigration officials have returned to the Manus Island detention centre to destroy water supplies and makeshift shelters, increasing pressure on the men inside to leave.

The renewed push comes close to two weeks after the detention centre officially closed and as another deadline for asylum seekers and refugees still inside to leave passes.

"Our advice to them is that common sense must prevail," Manus Police Commander David Yapu said on Monday.

"They must leave the centre and go to the locations where there are services available for them."

Water is gushing out of a pipe connected to a rainwater tank on Manus Island Photo: Water is seen gushing from a rainwater tank on Manus Island. (Twitter: Samad Abdul)

On Sunday night, Commander Yapu said Monday was "the deadline" for men to leave the detention centre.

But he said police would not use force to remove the 379 men who are still inside.

Men inside the detention centre have posted numerous videos and photos on social media showing the renewed push to make them leave.

Some show the officials pulling down makeshift shelters, and others show them smashing taps on large water tanks and water gushing from broken fixtures.

Officials also filled in water wells the men had dug with dirt and rubbish.

Immigration officials in the Manus Island detention centre burying drinking water wells. Photo: Photos posted to social media show Immigration officials burying makeshift water wells. (Twitter: Hass Hassaballa)

Police said they would not forcibly remove the men still in the centre and would allow so-called "voluntary" transfers to continue, despite threats to use force previously.

"We have been given instructions from our authorities not to use any force," Commander Yapu said.

Commander Yapu said about 100 men left the centre over the weekend.

A man sits with his hand on his head, surrounding by trash and debris. Photo: Police say they will not use force to remove those still inside the Manus Island detention centre. (Twitter: Abdul Aziz Adam)

Thirteen days have passed since the Manus centre was officially closed and food, power and water supplies were cut off.

Asylum seekers and refugees who were choosing to stay inside the now-closed centre had raised fears for their safety if they left.

Recent pictures show one of the three alternative accommodation sites is still under construction.

Security fences appear to be only partially erected, possibly adding to the men's fears about safety.

Given the refugees and asylum seekers' determination to stay despite the terrible conditions, it is hard to see this stand off coming to an end any time soon.

A large pool of water is seen on the ground behind a rainwater tank. Photo: Immigration officials returned to the detention centre to destroy water supplies. (Twitter: Samad Abdul)

...Read more
Share this

You might also like

Similar