Fantasy football start/sit for Week 6: Chris Thompson will have a big day vs. 49ers

Thursday, 12 October 2017, 10:30:23 PM. The 49ers are allowing opponents to convert on third down 47.4 percent of the time, second highest rate in the NFL this season. That should allow Redskins players to rack up some serious points.

fantasy-football-startsit-for-week-6-chris-thompson-will-have-a-big-day-vs-49ers photo 1
RB Chris Thompson is the third highest-rated Redskin, behind TE Vernon Davis and LT Trent Williams, per the game charters at Pro Football Focus. (Kelvin Kuo/AP)

Each week, Neil Greenberg will give you three players to start and three to sit in your fantasy football league.

My condolences if you had any of the New York Giants’ receivers on your fantasy roster. Odell Beckham Jr., Brandon Marshall and Dwayne Harris all suffered season-ending injuries on Sunday. Sterling Shephard has no timetable for a return. That leaves Big Blue with Roger Lewis and rookie tight end Evan Engram as its primary receivers. If you have one (or more) of these injured wideouts on your roster and need a replacement, look for an offense going up against the New Orleans Saints, Green Bay Packers or Houston Texans — they have some of the weakest secondaries in the NFL.

Ben Roethlisberger also had a game he’d rather forget: five interceptions, two of which were returned for  touchdowns, in Sunday’s loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars. Roethlisberger may have lost a step, but no team has been successful throwing against the Jags’ defense.

And with the Buffalo Bills, Cincinnati Bengals, Dallas Cowboys and Seattle Seahawks on a bye, you’ll need to go even deeper on your reserve roster to fill all the available slots needed on game day.

Here are some moves you’ll want to consider for Week 6.

Start

Chris Thompson, RB, Washington Redskins

Thompson has the two lone rushing touchdowns scored by Washington and two of the seven touchdowns the team has scored through the air, making him the third-highest-rated player on the team behind tight end Vernon Davis and left tackle Trent Williams, per the game charters at Pro Football Focus.

Look for him to be a big part of the offense as this week’s opponent, the 0-5 San Francisco 49ers, are allowing opponents to convert on third down 47.4 percent of the time, a rate that is only eclipsed by the New Orleans Saints’ defense. Long drives lead to points and Thompson has shown he can put them on the fantasy and NFL scoreboards.

Marvin Jones, WR, Detroit Lions

Speaking of the Saints, New Orleans’s secondary is allowing 8.1 net yards per pass this season, second worst in the NFL, with opposing receivers making 29 catches for at least 15 yards, four more than the average team is allowing in 2017. Saints strong safety Kenny Vaccaro is the weak spot here, allowing the second-most yards per cover snap at the position this season (1.41).

The soft secondary is good news for Jones: Lions quarterback Matt Stafford has a 108.0 passer rating on deep throws in 2017, sixth-highest among 22 passers, and Jones leads the team in deep targets with seven.

Adam Thielen, WR, Minnesota Vikings

The Green Bay Packers do a lot of things well but covering the slot receiver isn’t one of them. Cornerback Quinten Rollins has allowed 2.86 yards per cover snap top the slot receiver this season, third-most in the league, and will have a hard time stopping Thielen, who averages 2.1 yards per route run from the slot.

fantasy-football-startsit-for-week-6-chris-thompson-will-have-a-big-day-vs-49ers photo 2

Sit

Jay Ajayi, RB, Miami Dolphins

Benching Ajayi in Week 6 has nothing to do with Atlanta’s defense against the run — the Falcons have the fourth-worst run defense per Football Outsiders — and everything to do with the Dolphins’ slim chances at winning this contest. Atlanta is favored by 11 points at home, implying an 87 percent win probability, which leaves just a 13 percent chance for Miami.

When the Dolphins trail this season, they run the ball just 26 percent of the time, compared to 68 percent when leading or 47 percent when tied. That drops to a rush rate of 16 percent when Miami’s win probability falls below 20 percent during the game.

Score Differential in 2017 Plays Rushing attempts Pass attempts Run% Leading 31 21 9 68% Tied 92 43 47 47% Trailing 115 30 78 26%

All Los Angeles Rams wide receivers

Do not start any receivers against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Their top corners, Jalen Ramsey, A.J. Bouye and Aaron Colvin, are allowing a league-low 0.17 combined fantasy points per cover snap in point-per-reception (PPR) leagues, whereas the rest of the league allows 0.26 PPR points per snap.

Only one wideout, Antonio Brown, has topped the 100-yard mark against Jacksonville and just two, DeAndre Hopkins and Jonnu Smith, have scored a touchdown.

fantasy-football-startsit-for-week-6-chris-thompson-will-have-a-big-day-vs-49ers photo 3

Alvin Kamara, RB, New Orleans Saints

In a surprise move, the Saints traded Adrian Peterson to the Arizona Cardinals, paving the way for Kamara to get a consistent number of snaps. The third-round pick in the 2017 draft carried the ball five times on Sunday for 25 yards and also caught all 10 of his targets for 71 yards and a touchdown against the Miami Dolphins. He’s broken five tackles, two more than Mark Ingram despite seeing 22 fewer opportunities with the football, and is second to Duke Johnson in yards per route run (2.13).

On Sunday, however, he will face a Detroit Lions defense that ranks in the top-10 against the pass (9th) and the run (5th) while allowing just one running back, Devonta Freeman of the Falcons in Week 3, to surpass 100 yards from scrimmage.

Read more from The Post:

Jerry Jones says Trump reminded him of NFL policy on standing for anthem

Trump blasts ESPN, Jemele Hill after her suspension for tweet about Cowboys owner and a boycott

‘No oppression in the last 100 years that I know of’: Mike Ditka weighs in on NFL protests

Eric Reid becomes the voice of the 49ers’ protest with his criticism of Pence

NFL power rankings: After the Chiefs and Packers, it’s a mosh pit

Share this
Article Fantasy football start/sit for Week 6: Chris Thompson will have a big day vs. 49ers compiled by www.washingtonpost.com